Originally Posted by getting old
Since I have never smoked pot, I have a pretty naive but legitimate question: What effect does pot have that makes it so desirable ?

There are two different species of pot, Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica. They both contain the major psychoactive ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol. At least another 113 cannabinoids have been identified, with little known about the effects of most of them. The combination of ingredients in the sativas seems to be stimulating to most users, giving an energetic mind buzz. Indicas give that famous "couch lock"--just too stoned to get up and do anything. Today most strains are hybrids of the two species, giving a wide variety of effects. This website can give you a guide to picking a strain to suit your situation.
https://www.leafly.com/start-exploring
One of the advantages of legalization is that you can walk into a well-stocked dispensary and have a knowledgeable budtender aid in your exploration. If you are living in Alabama, just remember that our old buddy Jeff Sessions says "good people don't smoke marijuana", so you don't have much choice, and pay much higher prices.

On a personal level, I pick a strain that fits the situation. Unlike many here in Oregon, I don't 'wake and bake". I treat it much like alcohol--no driving or operating tools like mowers or chainsaws. At the end of the day, a good bowl helps with relaxation and back pain. My wife does the same with wine. If you are feeling a little ragged or worried, it can smooth thing up. It enhances sensory experiences--food tastes great, you hear things in your music that you missed before, and the sounds and sights of nature are intensified.

When bedtime comes around, you can take your pick. An indica heavy strain like Gorilla Glue #4 can put you right to sleep--no tossing and turning. If tossing and turning or rolling and tumbling seems like a good idea, share a bowl of something sativa based like Alaska Thunder, put on Luther Allison's "Live in Chicago" and let the good times roll.