Originally Posted by centralala
Pines is a whole different animal. I hear all the time back and forth about deer and pines, good vs. bad. But what I NEVER hear discussed is that pine needles cause the soil to be much more acidic. Do you lime food plots? Why? The vegetation in these South Alabama pines can produce the cover for the fawns but unless you're liming the pine plantations, the vegetation produced just isn't going to reach its potential. We have to do the best we can but for me if i only had two tools available in pines it would be fire and a coyote trapper. Then I feel fawn survival would not be a concern.

ALL of the high quality native plants are adapted to acid soils in Alabama and do great without soil amendments - thats the beauty of them, just treat em right and they will come.

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Hardwoods slap

There, I fixed it for you. I read the study dissing big hardwoods, not pines wink

Originally Posted by jawbone
....And the winner of this years Captain Obvious award for the most useless waste of time and resources on an academic study goes to.......

It is obvious on the beautiful place you hunt but NOT for the majority of deer hunters! As you know I have been preaching Early Successional Habitat for years!! Most hunters don't know what ESH is, nor how to create it. I fight it all the time - folks love to see big, shady hardwoods and "thick stuff", two things I try to "uncreate" laugh

Also, I read the study not talking about "Big timber" but too much timber. Size doesn't matter much if you concentrate on getting sunlight through the canopy regardless of the size of the trees or canopy, nor species.

[Linked Image]

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine