Originally Posted by Goatkiller
They are overpriced. The Nightforce the military kinda uses sometimes is all glued up on the inside. Not the same scope they sell to consumers however their name and marketing demand the price $1500+ for a Japanese scope that is not the same scope their reputation is allegedly built upon.

The reason I would say S&B is maybe worth the cost is not because of the glass but they are military grade. So if a Nightforce is $2k then a S&B is $3k you are actually getting what you are paying for at $3k.

Some are really good glass some are fuzzy... in the end what does it matter. I can take a $500 fixed 10x and make pay dirt on the range all day long. In the woods I can kill whatever you want me to shoot out to what I consider max ethical distances with a $500 Sightron.

I find it funny. Guns themselves are on a race to the complete BOTTOM of the pile in terms of quailty while scope manufacturers are trying to one up the ante somehow....

I'm with you gundoc... I don't see that the means justify the ends myself either.

Good glass is nice but in the end that's not a huge advantage. The fact of the matter is we have to shoot during legal shooting hours/light if you are hunting. On the range you don't need it either. Nobody ever accused Unertl of being in the same league as what we are discussing, however 50 years ago they were ringing 1k yd shots all day long. I can pull one out of the back of the safe... slide a clearly inferior (by 2018 standards) 30-06 in the chamber and pop steel plates at nearly any gun range in the South Eastern United States all day long.

None of us are shooting 2500 yds. regularly where some of these scopes in fact would have a clear advantage.

That's just the reality. I own a couple S&B scopes. But I'm not going to spew a bunch of nonsense about how awesome they are over someone else's scope simply because I own one and you don't. I think that's what the deal is on most of this stuff. Just people bragging on the internet trying to see who's the biggest Rambo.

I mean if I only had 5 guns... I could have a $5k scope on everyone of them too. But in my opinion if you only own 5 guns and have been shooting for 5 years you need to know your role... type less and read more.

Where's the "LIKE" button when you need it. Well said Goatkiller thumbup

We’re not dead. We just smell that way. Dayum. - AC870

Yessir! I’m always gonna shoot what makes me happy and I want everyone else to do the same! If you shoot one be proud of it and don’t worry what anyone else thinks. - SJ22