Another thing that I ALWAYS try and do, especially when in the woods or in a roadway is set up where when that bird pops into view he is within range. There is no telling how many times when I started turkey hunting that I would be set up where the bird could see my location for 100 yards or more before he got to me. More times than not he would not see a hen and lose interest. I used decoys then on just about all field setups and often in the woods too and it helped some, I very rarely use them now and like it better. By setting up where a bird is within 40 yards when he can see you and you can see him it allows you to be ready (you better be ready) but he knows you are close and you know he is close (hopefully). Once he knows he should be able to see you he is going to stop, look, crane that neck, and present a shot more times than not. This is easy to do in the woods where you can set up 40 yards from the crest of a hill and also in a roadway set where you can set off to the side a few feet. There are some places where you have to set next to the road and that is ok, but If the trees are undergrowth are open enough I will often set 20 -30 yards off of the roadway where I am better hidden and in the shadows. You can get comfortable, relax, and spend lots of times in a good area this way and still have the cover to get your gun up if one slips in on you.

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters. —Archibald Rutledge—