Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Does the Alabama department of conservation have any interest in being contacted by individuals about fresh road killed deer or have any interest in individuals collecting fresh road killed deer and them being frozen to be picked up by G&F biologist?

The technical assistance biologist in each district is leading the collection efforts. I’m not sure how each district operates but I’ve certainly received calls from the public and county officers to report deer to collect. I’ve collected quite a few that way. It also has to be within a reasonable distance. I would get deer heads from the county I was currently working in or if it was on my way back to my Home county. We only have so many people collecting deer heads and usually the closest one to that location handles it. It’s best to collect the samples within a day or two of the deer getting run over, and with it warming up now the same day is best. That’s the tough part on road kills. We have to fit taking those samples into our other duties.