Originally Posted by BradB
About 3 years ago I started doing a mix of hinge and full cuts on mid-story junk trees, mainly Ironwood and Sweet Gum, in two somewhat open Oak flats near my main crop field. Goal was to create visibility for me and to get some sun on the ground to promote good growth., The results have been great. The first place I started on I now have anywhere from 100 to 200 yards of visibility from my stand but from a deer's perspective it is a mess which they feel very comfortable in.Last year I got to watch about 10 minutes of a full on chase through there, something I had only got glimpses of before. This year I saw 15 deer on a morning sit which was a record for me.Definitely worth the chainsaw hours and still needs some work. Maintenance is easy, a few hours in the late summer spraying any hardwoods or Privet that has popped up. The second place I still have a lot of work on and at this point have just got some lanes and general clearing done to get some visibilty. First sit on it a nice doe group crossed it just exactly as I figured they would so high hopes for this place too.I would give some thought to where you invest your time. I chose the first spot because one year I watched 7 racked bucks cross a clearcut just a little out of range and re-enter the woods at this spot.Its bound by a creek on the east and south with a major crossing 75 yards north of the stand, a four year old clearcut on the west and about 7 acres of beans and corn on north.And 3 fall food plots within about 300 yards.So it pretty much meets all the qualifications to make a deer happy,

Thanks for sharing. About how large of an area would you say you hinge cut?