Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder89
Originally Posted By: HippieKiller
You N AL guys crack me up. Most of us guys down south would trade a testicle for a 100 acres of hardwoods instead of the 1,000's of acres of pine thickets and clearcuts.

I prefer hardwoods instead of pines and clear cuts. I've seen deer eat acorns I've never seen one eat a pine cone

I use to be the same way. But I came to realize if you want to have a good deer herd you need a good ballance of several different timber varieties including pines.

I agree completely. Got to have a mixture of trees what I was talking about is the places like say Sam R WMA for example is say 80% if not more of that place is a pine tree or a recent clear cut. The only hardwoods being SMZ yes it's great cover and habitat but with very little food source. Then for say the black warrior WMA and the bankhead national forest is say probally 60% or so hardwoods with the rest being scattered pine thickets, and scrub brush briars,beach trees etc. and in the forest side some recent timber cutting. To me that seems like a decent mixture of habitat, cover, and food source it might be the best mixture ratio but its got to be better then 17k acres of pure pines in varying stages of growth.