Reading is very subjective because everyone has their own interests. Personally, I like to read things where I feel like I'm gaining knowledge along with the entertainment factor.

I read a lot of historical/war/exploration/colonial rule, etc. Books written form the 1800's through today really. It really will expand you knowledge of the events that have lead us to where we are today in terms of the problems in the middle east, how some of these countries came to be, etc. All these things play right into current times and you might find what you've been told all your life or think you know might not actually be the whole story.

I could list hundreds of places to start but Wars and other conflicts are the most significant and you can dive off into other things that spark your interests from there like Africa bush wars and other topics.

I'd start with Seven Pillars of Wisdom & The Evolution of a Revolt - 2 books actually - written by T.E. Lawrence a.k.a Lawrence of Arabia. It is a hard read but struggle through it gets better in the end.

WWII start here - With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge who is from here in Alabama.

First Book on Vietnam I'd read would be In This Valley There Are Tigers by Charles McDonald. There are a dang slew of good ones after that.

If you want a book on hunting I love Capstick's books as mentioned before Death In The Long Grass is probably my favorite. I also love Man Eaters of Kumon by Jim Corbett which is about India and man eating tigers. That was a really good one. I liked it better than The Man Eaters of Tsavo.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.