Originally Posted By: Recurve
Originally Posted By: joshm28
Originally Posted By: Recurve
Originally Posted By: HoofNSpur
Yep, this thread is exactly why I don't post my Deer Kills anymore.

You killing a lot of 160+ deer?

Not directed at Hoof, just others in the thread. As far as me, I just asked the story. Killing a deer like that is impressive but it isn’t common in AL. Many will hunt this state their entire lives and never see a deer of that caliber. I wasn’t questioning whether it was high fence or free range. I assumed this was just another monster like Bankhead (and actually thought it was the same guy). I don’t know why, in a state that doesn’t even produce that many 150+ bucks, it’s so hard for people to understand why others might question a kill like this being high fence. It’s normal to do so. That’s a stud. Personally, I would never participate in a high fence or any other type of hunting that isn't as natural as you find in the wild. That’s just me. I originally asked to get the story because like I said, most people will never see a deer like that outside of a state that produces deer like that. It doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. It’s just the likelihood of seeing that deer in the wild and in AL is unlikely enough the first thought others have is “high fence.” I don’t agree with just jumping in and accusing the guy of hunting high fence, but I also don’t see why others have a hard time understanding why that is what other hunters think.

I personally know 5 people that shoot 140" deer just about every year IN ALABAMA!! Not a one of them will post a word or picture about it on here. MAYBE a pic like Reeds on Facebook but that's it.

In addition these guys don't post trail camera pics either, nor do I if it's a really good deer. It's just not worth the BS of people trying to find out exactly where the land is, etc.

WAY TO MUCH ENVY WHEN IT COMES TO BIG DEER. AND I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT THERE ARE STUDS 140"+ killed every year in this state that you will never know about.

I agree with you and know there are studs 140+ that are killed. My question was 160s though. I'll post a kill of mine because I'm proud of it and like you, I really don't post trail cam pics. I hunt on private land with few members so it wouldn't matter, I just don't. If I kill a 140, I'll post it all day. We had a 142 killed on our property last year. My point was, when you get up into the range that deer will probably score, in AL, people will question whether it was high fence or free range, and understandably so. I’m not saying there aren’t deer like that in AL roaming around. Heck that guy in Bankhead got him a monster. I don’t really care if it was free range or high fence. Am I more impressed by a hunter sticking a buck like that on a WMA? Yes. I think most people are, so I don’t fault people for feeling that way. I’m not even saying this deer is high fence. I know some have said it is, some have said it isn’t. It’s a stud either way. I just don’t understand people getting their drawers in a wad over someone asking if it is, knowing full well most AL deer don’t have those genetics naturally without some kind of breeding program and even if we did have those widespread genetics, we probably wouldn’t let them grow to reach that type of mass.

My post wast directed at you alone. My point is that Alabama can and does grow 140, 150 & 160 deer every year. If you have enough land and let bucks get some age on them then anyone can grow a 140. I said 140 in my post because most folks would call me out if I said 160. That being said I know of several bucks between 150-170 that were killed on private land in Alabama in the last 2 years. The common factor on these deer is a decent amount of acreage, summer and winter plots and not killing bucks under 5 years old. Hell most of the big bucks I know of being shot were done so on food plots!! Funny how food plots become a GREAT place to shoot BIG BUCKS when nobody shoots does on the plots nor any young bucks.

I guess my point was most big buck killers in Alabama will never tell you when they kill on on social media. Some members here included