That looks nice 270…..You’ve got it going on now! Can’t wait to see the “after” pics of it nice and green. thumbup

I snapped a pic this morning of the tilled field where all the chocolate water was coming from to show the soil erosion that has taken place now after the rains…..See the channel that formed and all the silt. There’s several stages of soil erosion, I forget all the names right now….something like sheet, gulley, ???....but anyhow…..it’s basically a measure of mild, bad, severe, etc… ….this is BAD. You’re seeing a lot of soil loss taking place when you see gullies forming like that. That’s a result of a lot of water moving across the surface and building up momentum.

I’ve lived here for 11 years now and this is pretty routine each year. How much soil loss does that add up to year after year? Loss of nutrients? Loss of that lime you added? Loss of any organic matter? What’s the real cost $$$$ of tillage? It’s why I’m designing a “catcher’s mit” down stream. The worst part is that we have become so accustomed to it just being part of the process that we don’t even think twice about it. Many times we don’t even “see” it. I say that as having not seen it myself in the past……And what do we see as the solution??? Yep, just disk it again to smooth it out. Is that a proactive solution or reactive one?? What would be the proactive way of addressing the issue?

Last edited by CNC; 10/09/17 05:19 AM.

We dont rent pigs