Originally Posted By: Abram
Originally Posted By: jbc
Originally Posted By: eskimo270

Originally Posted By: jbc
Reaching.

If you want to stand with Abram and Perchjerker of the opinion that African Americans should be thankful and feel lucky that slavery happened, go for it.

As I said, I just think it's a poor choice of words, at the very best.
reaching? How is that reaching? Were black people the only slaves? Were the blacks the only ones who had family split up, lost all their property, had kids murdered, wives and daughters raped? We all have a reason to be pissed off because of the injustices that have been endured by those in our family tree but I choose to be thankful instead of holding on to unforgiveness. I recognize that while man meant it for evil GOD meant it for good.

No, not only black people were slaves

I do believe if I remember correctly Irish "slaves" (indentured servants I believe they were called) had more human rights, and weren't considered property. I'll read up on it, it has been a while

Doesn't change my opinion that it's silly to say black people should be thankful for slavery. That is the point here

You do realize that very few if any white people ever set foot on mainland Africa during the slave trading days, 95% of all slaves were captives from the warring tribes that were sold to white men for goods. Thankful in the text of my post was for all of their forefathers who died and for the ones who stood up for their rights as humans. Slavery exists today in Africa because black and white Africans devalue human life and if Colin and the rest of these people would look back over their shoulder at the country of their "origin" they would have a lot to be thankful for.

Who started slavery? Africans.
Who first worked to end slavery? White Christians.