Days until Turkey Season 2018.

I'll be honest, prior to last season, I had trouble getting pumped up for turkey season. I would say that I was excited, pumped up, whatever...but it was disingenuous. After 4 seasons of failure, I was dreading it more than anything. I never considered not going, that was never really an option, but I was pretty much scraping the bottom of the confidence barrel. I figured if I kept telling others (and myself) how excited I was, eventually I'd start to believe it.

That first Saturday morning, I got up and drank some coffee while getting ready, I think I posted my "For Those About To Rock" video that I always listen to before I head out - but I just had very little optimism for my 5th season of turkey hunting.

Last season was kind of a blur - I don't remember which events happened which days - but my lack of enthusiasm disappeared pretty quickly. I heard more gobbling in 1 morning than I'd heard in the 4 previous seasons combined. In my first 4 seasons, I think I actually laid eyes on a turkey maybe 2 or 3 times total. Last season, I had birds close on a few occasions including a few hens that practically climbed into my lap. And I finally got to really "play the game" for probably the first time. It started with a bird roosted probably 3/4 mile away and ended a couple of hours later when he busted me from about 75yds and I watched him run off. I thought he was a lot farther away than he was - I think he was looking away from be when he gobbled the last time and it threw me off...I tried to circle around and cut him off but never saw or heard him again.

5 seasons are in the books and I'm still working on #1. I read the "new hunter" sticky again this morning. I had a turkey hunting dream again last night - haven't had one in a while. I'm a lot more optimistic for this upcoming season than I was this time 6 months ago. Is it March yet?

(sorry for the rambling, when I started this post, I just intended to post the number of days left til season and the rest just sorta came out)

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft