I've had two labs, a lighter yellow one and a chocolate. They both had just rudimentary behavior training. The yellow turned out to be a natural retriever except she never learned the concept of only retrieving my doves. That meant she didn't go on shoots unless it was just a small group of friends. She also never learned that every time I shot a dove wasn't coming down. She would have been great with formal training but we more or less discovered her talent for it by accident.

My chocolate has no interest in hunting and after being in my shop when it was struck by lightning and caught on fire, she is terrified of loud noises. She was either jolted by the lightning or so terrified she was frozen because I had to go in and carry her out. She is a great pet though and has two different coats. Winter is lighter like a grizzly bear and summer is dark brown. Pretty dog.

It means nothing really, but just going by this, yellows make better hunters than chocolates and my yellow would seem smarter to me, but the chocolate isn't dumb.

Both chewed and dug like crazy their first two years or so and then calmed down nicely. The yellow died when she was 15. My chocolate is 10 now and going strong.

Nothing is truer than the saying that labs are the worst puppies but the best dogs.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.