I've told this story on here before but I'll do it again. One of the most heart wrenching cases I was assigned to work as an investigator. Alabama, heat of summer, two children both under two years old left in the backseat of a vehicle for several hours. Still buckled up in their car seats but with the most peaceful look of sleep on their faces. I always think of that as a reminder that innocents go to heaven, no questions asked. What happened was their mother was significantly mentally challenged and was the local neighborhood sperm depository. One of her other children was 13 years old and was tasked with the care of her younger siblings 24/7. Being a kid, she wanted some snacks and drinks so she loaded the babies up and drove to the store about a half mile away. When she got home she was a typical teenager and had whatever teen girls have on their minds on her mind at the time and she just flat forgot the babies.

This was a tough one for the DA. Who do you blame? Ultimately, no one faced criminal charges. I think I presented it to a Grand Jury, but can't swear to it.

This one is in the top five of cases I worked that has always bothered me. I just hope the kids didn't suffer too badly and find comfort in the knowledge that they were delivered to a much better place than the life that was most likely in store for them.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.