I promised pics of the results of the spraying when I was dealing with rain. The first patch that was sprayed a few hours before the rain looks fine.

The second patch doesn't look quite as good and has more weeds, but it's still ok and should make a good crop. The third patch that got sprayed twice shows a lot of Clethodim damage. The fourth that also got sprayed twice does as well. Here's a pic of it.

The Clethodim damage is pretty severe, but I would have made nothing in this field if I hadn't killed the Johnson grass. I let it get way too big before spraying, but we went a couple of weeks without a day that was dry enough to spray. Even this field should still make a lot of chufas, and the other end didn't have Johnson grass so I didn't spray it the second time and it looks good.

Just to show the difference, here is a pic of the other end of the last field. I turned around about where the pic starts because the Johnson grass ended here. You can see the yellowing chufas at the front, but they are just green after that.

If I am ever in this position again, I don't think I will risk another spraying. Also, I am having second thoughts about Clethodim being the best grass herbicide for chufas. I've had more than one field damaged by it the past 2 years, and I don't remember having this back when I used Poast. I'm using a different brand of Clethodim from what I did prior to last season, so that could be part of the trouble. If I do use it again, I'm gonna cut back to 8 oz per acre.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by poorcountrypreacher; 08/17/17 09:37 AM.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.