This is just my take but watering them really isn’t necessary unless you just plant them in a really dry spot and we have record type drought or something. I’m lucky in the fact that I live within easy driving distance of The Wildlife Group. I’m able to just drive over, have them dig trees up for me on the spot, and then take them straight home and plant ‘em. Doing that, I’ve had dang near 100% success on getting trees established that I got from them except the cedars. It was nothing to do with quality or anything like that….I think maybe cedars may just be more finicky to transplanting than anything else. I’ve only gotten about 50% survival on cedars.

Everything else though, be it pears, persimmons, oaks, chestnuts, you name it….even the apples…..has established themselves fine by just taking plenty of time to plant them right at planting time. The issues I’ve had with apples and plums have come later on down the road with disease. I usually go pick up 20-25 trees at a time and put them in one at a time with a shovel……taking the time to dig good holes…. pack the dirt well…..plant at the proper depth……keep the roots moist….etc….etc……Do that and you’ll be fine.

I’ve never used it (I probably will on any more cedars I try to plant)…..but they sell some stuff at the nursery called moisture mizer. I don’t know all the specifics of it but I know the gist of what its doing. It’s basically a crystalized type granule that you add to the hole when you plant that soaks up and holds 100 times its weight in water or something to that effect…it may be 1000 times. It a nutshell though, its got the ability to hold water around the roots for you better than your average soil. You can also go dig you up a 5 gallon bucket of pure clay and mix in a little on each hole when you plant to help hold more moisture if you’re planting in a sandy area. Adding some hay around the base of the tree will also help hold moisture if need be. Watering just really isn't necessary. Like I said though, this is just my take on things....I'm in no way trying to tell you what to do. smile

Last edited by CNC; 08/03/17 04:38 AM.

We dont rent pigs