I've put off planting fruit trees as I was unsure of my ability to maintain access to my hunting property. The property owner has given me a permit for "life", of course hinging on as long as he owns the property, which I believe he is in no mood to sell anytime soon. I've been saving my pennies to buy some older (5-7 gallon) fruit trees. I'm in the Huntsville Area and I imagine I'd be able to dig someone up at the local nursery or similar to provide some WHEN answers. The big question I have for anyone with experience would be WHAT. What should I be looking to plant. I hunt near Scottsboro, rockyish, soil though where I am planting has some decent dirt. I've witnessed first hand the deer come running to the apple tree at a friends place and after he dropped one with a bow, they were back before we had dragged the deer back to the truck.

Make no mistake, I'm not assuming they are some magic pill, but simply another tool in the tool box.

I'm assuming some mix of apples with a midseason/late drop date will probably do well for my plans. Any suggestions?