Originally Posted By: turkey247
Originally Posted By: k bush
I used to see turkeys all the time driving backroads here, now it's one to two times a year.

I may not see as many as I would like, but I see way more than that. Of course, I drive the back roads and woods roads thru timber more than..... anybody I guess.

I will say, the turkey around here aren't as visible as other places I've lived and worked. There's just not as many fields and open areas to see them loafing around. They live in woods all day, every day.

I drive a good many miles each month on the backroads of Clarke, Washington and Monroe Co. When I primarily done solid waste/illegal dump enforcement I had more backroad miles. Even where there are hay fields/pastures I don't see that many and it's usually 1-2 hens or jakes or maybe a lone gobbler. The last "flock" I saw was off I-65 between Greenville and Ft. Deposit.

There are a few places where it was routine to see turkeys and one field I can think of it's been over two years since I saw a turkey there. I discussed it with someone who lives nearby and he isn't seeing them either.

"Cull" is just another four letter word...