Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
Sweet. With rice being grown in wet fields is the yield pretty consistent from one year to the next? I guess what I'm asking is, does weather effect the yield like it would on corn or beans?

We tend to average in the mid to upper 40ba/ac range every year. Weather as for as rain is really a problem if you get to much on seedling rice and can't get the water down fast. Most rice plants will grow thru shallow water but to deep and it will kill small rice plants. Hot damp weather is when you have to watch for your many types of fungi and diseases that live in rice fields. Also you definatly don't want any rain at all when the rice is heading out and in the flowering stage. Rain knocks the flowers off and than you have false/blank grains. Our biggest problem down here is stink bugs. Some years we have to spray them 2-3 times. Than you got the stem borers, they cut the stem and than you will have a completely dead head of rice. This will wipe you out if you dont catch it early enough. Also I hate crawfish and turtles. They cut the plants at the roots and kill it and eat it. Snakes and alligators are your best friend because they eat the turtles and crawfish. Gators also keep the rats away from the pipes and overflows

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chews your a$$ all day long.