First off, thanks to all who provided advice and pointers!

Just to update you all, I ended up getting what I think was a good deal on a used Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x50 in really nice shape. I think this scope will serve me very well on this first rifle and I have been playing with it around the house in the evenings, it does quite well in low light.

Now its time to get some rings and get the scope mounted up and sighted in, and I hoped to turn to you all again with a few questions.

Anyone have a suggestion on good quality rings? I have seen a lot of folks suggesting DNZ mounts and the ones I handled this weekend at Bass Pro sure seemed solidly made.

Also, in you guy's opinion, would I be better off buying a laser bore sight and mounting/sighting the scope myself? Alternatively I am sure I could find somewhere to take it and have it done, I just have never done this myself and want to make sure it is right!

Final question for you all, what is a good high quality bullet for a .270 and whitetails or pigs? I picked up a box of Federal 130 grain Nosler partitions, but wasn't sure if there is something else that is better. The previous owner of the gun suggested he has had the best accuracy with 130 grain loads so I am inclined to stick with that. I am going to go ahead and order a few boxes online so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again!