Originally Posted By: eskimo270

Originally Posted By: jawbone
He could somehow own an opposing lineman like no one I've ever seen but he played on the edge of being within the rules and sometimes he went too far. Sometimes that got called sometimes it didn't. Also though, he got flagged on some BS calls too, simply based on reputation. Was it Alabama that they flagged him for excessive celebration on close to the first play of the game in order "to send a message"? That one was pure BS. Then there was the one where he was blocked to the ground and his helmet hit the GA qb in the shin. I don't think he was flagged for that but the dawgs cried like little whipped puppies over it because of his reputation when in reality those things happen in football. He was good, but that is not to say that he didn't play dirty ball.
if he would have played in the 70s,80s,and maybe even in the 90s I am not sure if anyone would have even raised an eyebrow at the way he plays but today, well let's just say times have changed.

Agree wholeheartedly. Butkus made Fairley look like Nick was playing flag football. Otis Sistrunk would be suspended for targeting on every single play that came his way. Different game now. No need to even mention Ronnie Lott.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.