Originally Posted By: Clem

As to the question about why is bowfishing for bass illegal, the simple answer IMO is it's just easier to see them and have a shot.

I've been bowfishing for 20 years. Not regularly but enough to have seen enough bass -- cruisers and bedding -- that would have made an incredibly easy target. Not all fish automatically spook when the airboat goes over or nearby. I've seen bass, sunfish, turtles, gar and others stay put or casually swim off.

IMO because of that, you have more time to identify a bass instead of saying, "Oh, I didn't realize it until I shot!" That may be the case with some. But in my experiences, and more diehard bowfishing guys can/could chime in w/ possibly different input, the chance to shoot a bass would be much easier.

The disparity is that they're considered a gamefish and regulated with a limit, and thus shouldn't be shot by bowfishermen.

Catfish have limits (on the big ones), too. They're not considered a gamefish, though. Saltwater species that can be shot include skate, mullet, sheepshead, black drum and flounder. But not gamefish including redfish (even though the other species have limits, too.)

Why about bass? Two reasons: Bass = money, and bass fishermen would lose their chit if the Holy Sacred Bass were allowed to be shot.

One other item, is when bass are bedding they will not journey far from the bed even when spooked or chasing predators away from their beds. The other "trash" fish do not lay eggs in one spot and protect that one spot like many "game" fish do.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope