Originally Posted By: Clem
The band can and should have to raise its own money.

Athletic teams don't need bands, or cheerleaders for that matter. When you have a 40gazillion-light blaring JumboGigantoTRON showing the game, playing music, doing pre-post game intros and info, along with fans going to the concession stand or bathroom or looking at phones during halftime, there's honestly no need for bands or their expense.

As fine as the state's bands are -- AU, UA, JSU, Troy, others -- I've never been to a football game to watch or listen to a band. I enjoy hearing LSU on a Saturday night and UGA and AU and the MDB when I'm there, but it ain't why I'm there.

And I was in the high school band for a year before playing football for three, so I know about expenses, travel, fundraising, being snubbed, practicing hard to learn the routines/steps and music and making sure we put on a good show. We were proud of how we played, performed and whatnot. Won awards for the field performance and also symphonic band.

In the end, though, it wasn't about us and NEVER is about the band. It's about the football team and their game, period. Nothing else.

So, when the band starts whining about money and football raking it in and whatnot, the band isn't part of the athletic department. It's part of the music department that gets invited to participate at the games. Raise your own money, donations and whatnot.

And I'd tell the opposing teams to leave their bands at home.

I think you missed the point. The subject was Saban's extension and pay. Where is Alabama's football program when the oppositions comeback is "Yea, but tuition is high" and "the band has to pay its own way?"

Actually Clem, I know you didn't miss the point. I have never been to an Alabama game and only 1 or 2 Auburn games. I read this for some laughs from both sides but some are really taking this football stuff serious and are truly bothered by the other school. Whom ever is on top seems to be bothered less and right now Alabama is on top not only in state but all of college football. At one point, people where digging deep for shots at Spurrier and Florida.