Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
Did you mis-figure that $33 per acre part?

No, that was based on the prices I was offered for it when I had a crew on the place in 2015. I decided to let it grow some more; probably a mistake from an economic view. I don't think it would produce that $33 figure now that prices are even lower. For reference, land planted in 1979 cut out at right at $1000 per acre. Parts of it had been thinned 3 times, and some just twice, so it's really hard to put a price on what that land actually returned, but it was nowhere close to $2000, and that was a 36 year rotation.

The superior trees that they are planting now will make more money than this tract, but you better have a whole lot of poles if you are gonna cut $2000 per acre at today's prices.

The contract I had with MB was at one cord per acre per year and was tied to a commodity index, and I was getting about $24 a year from the lease. I would have been better off financially to have stayed in the lease. On the other hand, I am pretty sure I could get $10 for the hunting rights. Only point I was trying to make is the hunting rights have become a very significant part of the income on timber land.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.