Originally Posted By: charlie
If they are getting your bait you need to dig your hole deeper so they really have to work it.

Yeah, I thought about making the hole smaller in diameter as well. The one in the pic has already been dug out twice now so it’s bigger than I’d like for it to be. I believe it was that possum doing it because it looked like a small animal doing the digging. Last night just about all of my DP’s had been messed with. I’m pretty sure one of the local yard dogs worked several sets because they were completely pulled out of the ground and triggered. I saw some big dog tracks too. A lot of other traps were eaten out of but not triggered. I think the possums are more reluctant to reach way down into the trap.

My thought on the baby possums is that if there’s that many babies hitting the ground across the landscape then they likely have a pretty high mortality rate…..which means something is likely eating them. I read that coyote diets vary a lot with the seasons. It looks like we’re on the front edge of baby possum season. Maybe that’s the current hot food source. Interesting note about the study I was reading…..deer was #1 on the list. It was found in something like 47% of all scat piles tested over a 6 year time period I believe it was. I believe rabbit was second. I'm using some bait I bought from the trap store right now. Another idea though was to put a piece of deer meat on one of those skewer sticks and jabbing it into the back of the hole.

Last edited by CNC; 04/15/17 08:31 AM.

We dont rent pigs