Originally Posted By: Hevishot13
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
I cut off the feet and beard and add them to my display at the end of the season. I don't save fans anymore.

To clean him, I hang him by the head and skin him, then cut off the thighs, taking the legs with them and all of the back meat I can get. Then fillet each side of the breast out.

Cleaned this way, I have 2 gallon bags of breast meat and one bag holds all the dark meat.
thats a good idea PCP. Do you just peel the whole hide off of him in one lick?

I make a cut all the way around at the base of the neck and then make a cut all the way down his back. I use loping shears to cut thru the drumstick bone just below the meat. That makes it fit the gallon bag better.

Before that I use the loping shears to cut the wing bone at the first joint. After he is skinned, I cut out the wing bone. That makes it possible to start the fillet of the breast at the strip of white meat that extends to the center of the back. It's hard to get a clean fillet if you don't remove the wing bones.

Smells, long years ago we used to scald them in a dishpan of hot water and then pluck them. That's nice if you are gonna bake him, but not really needed if you are gonna cut the breast into strips anyway. And it's a whole lot more trouble.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.