Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
Originally Posted By: 2Dogs

Same goes for GOOD shine. No mixing, no chasing , just sippin'.

The main problem with that statement is that there's no such thing as good shine. If it was good I don't think they would've ever started aging it in charred oak barrels.

You, Sir are wrong. Plenty of good , smooth shine , with taste. I happen to know where some white corn and rye are, you are welcomed to come take a test drive. You can't judge all shine by that tractor fuel they peddle at Gatlinburg . eek sick

I used to coon hunt with a old feller in PRV who was a master whisky maker. He'd take some of his white magic and put about 15 gallons in a Jack Daniel's barrel and roll it about 90 degrees every week for a month. 110 proof Gentleman Jack, mighty fine. But I always liked his white better.

BTW, the aging of sour mash in oak barrels didn't begin as aging at all , it was for shipping purposes . And as far as charred barrels , that was a mistake , a whisky maker in Kentucky had a order to fill. There was a fire that charred and smoked the wood . He made the decision to use the barrels anyway. Shipped it to New Orleans (I think) , rest is whisky history.

Cat doctor