Originally Posted By: gobbler
Helicopter came back today for one more day flight. 2 flights in Autaugaville yeilded 67 dead pigs and one flight in hardaway yeilded 22 pigs, all confirmed dead. 307 confirmed in autauga and 175 in hardawsy total

Originally Posted By: therealhojo
What was the cost of flight time and pilot?

Many of these landowners were participating in some hog trapping and/or research on hogs with the USDA animal damage. Some had a $$ contract, some didn't but allowed the USDA to try this aerial gunning experiment out on their places that adjoined these others to make one large zone. The actual cost to do this is to be determined.

Originally Posted By: Hogwild
It is more complex than it appears on the surface.

Traditional Methods of hunting, whether it be guns, dogs, archery, etc, should be fully utilized before supplementing them with alternative methods.

That is just my opinion, though.

Most do not realize that most all of these 'new' methods are expensive. Therefore, they are primarily done 'for profit'. They are NOT viable means for the average Joe or the most hunting clubs. The cost is exorbitant AND it is not a one-time Hit It & Quit It. It is a process that will need repeating for many years.

Most of these properties that you see these large numbers of hogs coming off of are exclusive properties with restricted access. Usually belonging to, or being leased by, extremely wealthy individuals or groups. These areas are also brood areas that furnish hogs to all of their neighbors! LOL
Same as I have been saying for years!

I disagree that "traditional methods" should be used first. ANY method that can kill LOTS of pigs with little money, effort and/or time should be used first. When the poison program is worked out, I will use that as well. Anything that kills pigs in large numbers is fine with me.

If the State gets serious about the problems pigs are causing, maybe they or the Feds will get a helicopter, certify some gunners and kill them for free on anyone's land that has them - also fine with me.

Originally Posted By: ColeT
I know the spot they were at in hardaway
Originally Posted By: ColeT
The hardaway killing was at frank Thomas property.

Yes Cole, you do know ONE of the approximately 10 properties in Hardaway that were gunned on. See if you can guess the other 9. It's not a secret otherwise it would not be posted on aldeer! wink
haha yeah. I did know it was over a good bit. It's pretty cool. I think they shot again today. I just know of that one and another just because I talked to them recently.