BhamFred hit the nail on the head and was the intent of my original post.

Until recently I had held this pie in the sky notion that if I was able (and not saying I ever will but that is the plan one day) to acquire a decent amount of property in Alabama, wherever that be, if I treated it like a Whitetail properties type piece of property and planted year round and attempted to shoot only mature bucks that I would one day able to have opportunities at 140-150 type deer on a consistent basis.

Unfortunately, I just don't think that is a viable option in many areas of Alabama.

The way I look at it and this is very broad, deer cannot be much different than humans. If a 6' 6" fella marries and a 5' 10" woman they are more likely to have a 6' 6" son then if a 5'8" fella marries a 5' 2" woman. It gotta be similar with a genetically superior buck and doe versus a specimen of inferior genetics.

I have no doubt (and the video posted about was very informative) that nutrition and age structure play a huge role in shooting larger whitetail. But it seems if you don't have good genetics to begin with you can only expect so much from your areas deer herd in regards to opportunities at trophy whitetail.

Regardless where everyone opinions lie, this has been a very informative thread that I have enjoyed reading.