Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
As I remember , that is what the study the QDMA article is about. And you are 1/2 right, your big Iowa buck would go backwards. And the Dallas Co buck shows an improvement and by the second generation your Dallas county bucks would show quite a bit of improvement.

I don't understand why one would think an increase in nutrition will help the Alabama buck but a decrease wouldn't hurt the Iowa buck at least a little.

Because of the age, genetics and nutrition thingy. Age - same so thats out. Genetics is straight forward and cant be changed readily. So its nutrition made up of a LOT of variables like beans grown in Alabama and beans grown in Iowa will have different nutritional quality due to soils. Question is which would really dominate. Possibly the higher nutrition in Iowa would fully allow the Alabama deer to express his genetic potential but the genetics of the Iowa deer would overpower the lower nutrition in Alabama. Would be an interesting experiment. The clone idea would be a good one!

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine