Originally Posted By: ChrisAU
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
Originally Posted By: ChrisAU
Unfortunately I have a cataract in my right eye that limits my vision to a corrected 25/20 - I know thats still pretty good, but I have really placed an emphasis on high quality glass, and I can tell a big difference in say VX-2 vs VX-6. And I'm a Leupold fanboy ha. I was definitely considering the 2.5-8x36 VX-3i, but having just put a 3-18x44 VX-6 on my 338 I'd hate to have worse glass on the rifle I'll use 90% of the time I hunt, if that makes any sense whatsoever ha. The VX-6 2-12x42 is only 16.8 oz, while the VX-2 2-7x33 is 9.9 oz and the 2.5-8x36 is 11.4 oz. Thats a lotttt of optics for the ounces.

For instance, your Razor 1.5-8x32 is 13.4 oz - just 3.4 oz lighter than the 2-12x42 VX-6. That is an impressive FOV on that Vortex though...

I agree with you on weight but you should still take a look at that Razor if you can. I think the glass and reticle is actually better than that VX6. I know the eye box is. I love the very generous eye box and FOV on 1.5 for a woods gun. It makes it very easy to get behind and get on a moving target fast.

I do like the illumination and power range on the VX6. It's a good scope. It's just personal preference,because everything is a trade off in some area.

The FOV alone is gonna inspire me to look at that one...

And for some reason I just like the idea of the 2.5-8x36, so that is still on the table. That could bring the Savage down under 7lbs, and be pretty cost effective.

You should also look at the VX2 2-7.I actually like it better for close range. The VXR 2-7 is a nice scope too for a woods gun and gives the advantage of illumination. Lots of good choices.