Most of the 308 Kimbers owned by guys I know shoot very well. You might have to bed it,shorten a mounting screw and the mag box if it is binding but it is a real nice platform.I think if I went that route,I would look for a used gun just under $1000 so even if I rebarreled it I would still be right at the $1700 that Barrett wants.

I have a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 and a Forbes in 270. The Forbes is a real shooter with no work.I had to bed my Kimber and shorten the mag box but it shoots good now. Recoil is not a problem with either of mine. The stock design and good recoil pad cause me to feel recoil less than same caliber guns I've had that were considerably heavier.

I think if I really wanted a light weight shooter,I would just bite the bullet and order a Barrett or Cooper,unless the non bolt locking safety is a deal breaker for you. I don't know the Cooper weight but the Barrett is exactly 5 lbs in 308.If you really want light weight,that 10 oz difference is quite a lot,but still a long way from your 11 lb rifle.

Here's some info on the Barrett.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11197217/3

I'm saving for one in 6.5 Creedmoor.