Originally Posted By: mman
Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I'd think I saw a late deer that was small for age with six inch spikes.

I've got a doe on my place that is two years old and weighs maybe 60 pounds, a 1.5 year old buck with 2" spikes that weigh maybe sixty pounds. It happens, unlike five month old bucks with six inch spikes which does not happen.

So, out of curiosity, how do you know it is not a fawn with 2" spikes? It's hard to believe you have a 1.5 year old buck that only weighs 60 lbs. You must have some mighty small deer on your place.

Or, in my case, it could have been some type of an anomaly where a very early fawn grew a 6" set of spikes. Unless it was some type of dwarf, there is NO WAY it was a year old, either!!!

On our property, all late buck fawns from the previous year weigh nearly 100 lbs by the next hunting season. I've seen quite a few over the years and have NEVER seen one that still only weighed around 50 lbs.

I know what I saw and what you didn't see. It had a fawn's head. It had around 6" spikes coming out of that fawn shaped head. Another experience hunter who has always been very accurate in his descriptions of deer saw a fawn with several inch spikes. We can tell the difference between a fawn and yearling. We both concluded it was a fawn. Actually, my son, also saw it.

I guess unless the deer are killed and the teeth looked at, we will never know for certain if they were fawns or yearlings.

If the science doesn't back up that a yearling can grow bone that big, the burden of proof is on you to prove that they can. You can say what you want all day long, but the science isn't there to support it.