Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted By: blumsden
Question. Why are there no shell manufacturer's offering the TSS loads?

I believe the main reason is that the big companies don't believe they can make a profit from it. They would have to charge a high price and don't believe the market for them is big enough.

I'm surprised one of the smaller companies hasn't given it a try. One might try it eventually.

YS may be right about the liability issue being part of it, but if it is, I think it's based on perception instead of science. Federal already makes a 15g/cc shell, so the jump to 18 isn't that great as far as safety. The only real danger is that it can scratch your barrel, but proper wads make that unlikely. A tss load is no more likely to blow up in your face than a lead load. At least, that's the way I understand it. There are thousands of people shooting tss now, and I've never heard of an accident that had anything to do with its density or hardness. I could be wrong.

PCP, just to clarify, the numbers you posted 15g/cc and 18g/cc are density measurements. Those numbers have no bearing on the strength of the alloy. For instance, lead is a very dense metal, but you'd never use it for building because its soft, not strong. I have never seen a hardness measurement on any of the alloys used in heavyweight shot. Will the Federal Heavyweight shot score a barrel? I have no idea. It might. I don't know what its Rockwell hardness is. I just know that I've read that the TSS is a very hard alloy.

"When there was no fowl, we ate crawdad, when there was no crawdad, we ate sand."

"YOU ATE SAND!" - Raising Arizona