Originally Posted By: Thisldu
The focus on "inches are the only that matters" is the root of all evil. Ground shrinkage creates guilt, and who the hell wants that when you are enjoying the gift of pursuing whitetails?

I'm so glad I hunt my own land now so whatever I shoot is not to be judged by anyone but me and the Lord above.

I have enjoyed the process of hunting in its entirety when the pressure is not there of making sure whatever deer I took met every body else's requirements.

I have taken some damn fine deer, passed on some damn fine deer, and also taken a couple bucks that elitist inch measurers would scoff at. It all depends on what I'm feeling like doing at that time. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I eat what I kill too.

To each his own but I'm sick and tired of it only being about inches.

When I take a friend or guest they always ask, "what do you shoot down here?" My answer is a legal deer that YOU would be proud of.

Might not all be about inches for everyone. They could not be talking about inches but age. Someones goal might just be to shoot mature deer and it "shrank" from a mature deer to a young buck.