Originally Posted By: jdfarm23
Originally Posted By: msubowhunter2506
Originally Posted By: Smells
Will this be adequate for a turkey gun or not? It'll only take a 2 3/4" shell. It will not take a choke and came from factory with a barrel that is essentially a "modified" choke. Not sure if this is really what I need but it's what I will have this year. Am I going to maim birds and not kill them?

I've killed several birds with my 2.75" 1100 over the years, but it did come from the factory with a 28" field barrel with the RemChoke tube system. I've since bought another, shorter barrel for it with rifle sights and RemChoke, love it!

I've even shot 3" turkey loads out of it with no problems. I would suggest for ammo to shoot maybe some Federal loads that have the Flightcontrol wads since these wads tend to like more open restriction. With your fixed modified choke barrel these may just be the ticket, just have to shoot and see.

I wouldn't think it's ok to shoot 3 inch shells out of a 2 3/4 inch gun. Am I wrong?

My dad has an old 1100 that he would switch the barrels out when he wanted to shoot 3" shells for turkey. A few years ago I was reading on using 3" shells in a 2.75" chambered 1100 and from what I saw, the only real difference was the breech bolt buffer was a non-magnum in the 2.75" 1100, but that it would actually shoot a 3" shell just fine, but wouldn't stand up to high volume shooting? All I know is I've done it a few times and all has been well so far