Originally Posted By: ikillbux
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Ikillbux, there is a big difference in getting searched on a military base or WMA. You go on those places you are agreeing in advance to be searched. I see a big difference in being searched without any probable cause when you are just driving down the road like everyone else.

Anyone who has ever hunted with me knows that I am a fanatic about making sure all my paperwork is right when hunting or when traveling while hunting. On some of the multi-state turkey hunts I've been on getting it right for every state takes a lot of effort, but I make sure to get it right and I am not concerned in the least about ever getting a ticket.

Still, this profiling of hunters is something I find concerning. When something like this gets started, government doesn't have a good record of ever reversing it; it usually just gets worse. If you are truly a libertarian, I'd urge you to think about it some more. Do you really see no problem with searching vehicles on a public road with no probable cause? What about your house? Is it OK with you if LEO come in once a week just to have a look around? My view is that the 4th amendment either exists or it doesn't.

You and I fully agree about all of that, and I know it looks like I'm trying to argue and contradict myself, but my point is just more that I think we're making some gymnastic leaps here. I think it's hyperbole to begin with that they're profiling hunters, just really being stretched. The report of roadblocks is just that--a report of a normal police roadblock, and then we're just running with it from there. Nobody who has commented on this post has actually been there. Here is a transcript of a text message between me and a game warden I am close personal friends with:
Me: I ask him about roadblocks and profiling hunters and searching vehicles, etc.
Him: I'm not aware of anything like that. They CAN though if looking for illegal activity. Seldom do, but can.

I personally know someone who went through this roadblock. It's not a normal roadblock. It was one police officer and 3 GW's. They asked for driver's license, hunting license, and then proceeded to look in the cooler. What "normal" road block checks hunting license and a cooler?