Originally Posted By: turkey_killer
Yeah, I'd like to see them too. I've never done any water trapping.

I get dirt hole sets. I have a couple questions about some of the others. How do you know where to place the pan on a flat set or urine post set? Also, do you use coyote urine for coyotes and fox for fox on this type set or would you probably catch a coyote on fox urine post? Is it harder to catch on these sets or is there some way to be confident which direction theyre going to work them from and where their foot will be?

And I thought step downs were like dirt holes but just kind of in a small trench. Thanks.

we use red fox urine and it catches both fox and coyote.

as far as making the sets, i look at the area where tracks or poop are present. if there is a stick or small log with a branch on it, that's a good place for a urine set. about 7 inches from the stick or branch, set the trap. offset it a couple of inches. squirt a little urine on the stick or branch and then apply a small dab of gland lure. just think about a dog walking down the road and wanting to mark his territory. just picture the coyote walking by the stick or branch and hiking his leg. think like the canine, especially think about it's height. if your area doesn't have sticks or a funky log with a branch, you can make a post set in a corn field or cotton field using the stalks. if you have a small bush, just use nippers and remove the limbs, leaving a post and go from there.

yes, in my post above, that wasn't a step down. that was on the same road i had a trench set (step down) where we caught a couple of coyotes and a bobcat but i guess i didn't save the picture of the set.

flat set - if it's a known travel area, especially a funneled area, just place the trap in the travel path. if it has something natural in the area like a tuft of grass or fallen limb, rock, what-have-ya, all the better. those items will provide the backing you need to keep the critter from entering the set at the wrong angle. you don't want them to come sniffing the lure from behind the grass patch or limb or rock or other. you want them to enter from the trap side so you use those items as your backing and place the trap in front and offset a couple or three inches. picture the coyote be-bopping down the road and whoa! he catches a scent. he mosies over to check it out and as he walks up to it, whap! the trap gets his foot. remember, coyote aren't real big so think about how far apart their legs are and picture them walking up to the set. we don't place the traps any farther than 9 inches from the sets. when you finish, blend in the trap area real well. i like to pull grass from the grass tufts and rub it between my gloves and let if fall naturally over the trap set. crushed up leaves if in a forested area. use your surroundings to make it look as natural as possible. flat sets aren't like dirt hole sets where you don't have to be as careful with presentation.

don't give up, it took me getting a professional to show us the correct way to make the sets but it was money well spent.