Originally Posted By: ikillbux
It's not a problem with the system, it's a problem with the hunters.

Far more people in Alabama (heck, just look at this site) are angrily against Game Check. We don't have a bad system, we have a bad mentality. By and large we have a population of hunters who are ignorant about deer in general, and (at best) apathetic about deer management. Way more "if it's brown it's down" hunters than "trophy" hunters in Alabama. In Iowa you're in the minority if you kill a 1.5 yr old 4pt, in Alabama you're in the minority if you are against killing 1.5 yr old 4pts. See the difference?

It's a regular thread on here for a someone to criticize killing young bucks, and lots of other hunters will pile on him about "if it's legal, why do you care blah blah blah". We are far less management-minded here. Until Alabama hunters overcome this mindset, it won't matter what kind of system is in place.

Right now I hunt a military base that's about 20K acres. It's been on some style of DMP for about 10-15 years, and it's the most incredible herd I've ever hunted. EXTREMELY close to 1-1 ratio, substantial percentage of old-class animals, and it's a target rich environment where you can see 20+ deer on some hunts. It's dang near perfect because quality people are running it correctly!!!! As of this past weekend we reached our stated doe harvest numbers (100) and shut off the doe killing. Now, I personally wanted to shut down two weeks ago around 75 does. But 75% of the fellas out there are beside themselves!!!...they are pissed off about shutting down the does. These are also the same guys who continually bring in 2.5yr old, 13" wide 8pts (because hey, they're legal--4 on one side). We'll never overcome this mentality.
I strongly disagree with you "know it the mosest" aka ikillbux, the problem is the system and companies like your employer that has been given too much power in helping to shape hunting privileges

Super Predator