Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:
Where I have the biggest problems is when loggers for someone else need to cross my property to cut a tract belonging to someone else. Loggers don't pay too much attention to the landowner; they don't pay any attention to someone who is not the landowner.

They trespassed on you to get to someone else's property?

And this is common? How the heck does this happen and nothing is done about it?

Clem - sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear. Nobody has ever trespassed during logging; I've always given permission when someone needed to come across my land to get to theirs to cut it. One reason I've managed to hold onto 3 different small hunting leases is because they need access over my land to get to theirs. If I turned them down, I'd surely lose the leases, so I have to work with them. However, it's customary to give someone access in that situation even when no hunting lease is involved.

I just meant that the loggers who are working for the paper companies aren't real worried about making me happy. I've learned to just go directly to the Forester in charge if there is a problem. They will have some incentive to listen to him. Still, most loggers are gonna do whatever they wanta do anyway. I could give a whole lot of examples of that, but no point in it. They have a tough job in the best of times, and right now is not all that great.

I think the biggest challenge for the timber industry here in AL is having enough functioning logging crews. It takes a whole lot of money to get started, and most folks that have that kind of money or can get it, would rather do something else. I'm afraid the day is gonna come when a small landowner will not be able to get his timber cut at all.

Some of you young guys looking for a career oughta consider starting a crew. I'm convinced that a man willing to work hard could do well.

Last edited by poorcountrypreacher; 12/07/16 08:39 AM.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.