Originally Posted By: Deadwood
From canner grade all the way up to prime, you generally can determine what it's gonna taste and feel like. On the other hand, you can make some fine steaks out of what Winn-Dixie sells as choice cuts.

Look for good marbling and dry age them in the refrigerator for several days using instructions found online. Watch your temp and moisture. Even with that, if a side of beef has been stressed before slaughter and if it hasn't at least hung through the process of rigor mortis, the lactic acid can't go to work breaking down the meat.

Irishguy posted once about dry aging his stuff. I'm no expert, but I know how to handle venison pretty well. Maybe he can weigh in.

I must say, I posted about Winn Dixie having some ribeyes for super cheap a few weeks back. After eating a few they were tough as nails. Prolly some of that Brazilian imported junk. I was very disappointed.

Having said that, I have gotten some great meat from Winn Dixie on sale but have noticed over the past year their quality of beef has been degrading. It started with the "harvested in Australia" ribeyes they started getting about a year ago and they were always on sale for like $7.99/lb boneless. They weren't terrible, very tender just not that usual beef flavor I like. Then they got this new stuff and it's junk!

Originally Posted by Johntravis89
There is 2 different high fence. 1 small and one big! Mine was free range in the big pen and was not a breeder buck. Why does it have to be twisted around??