Originally Posted By: MANGLER
Originally Posted By: Irishguy
not bashing on Kingsford, because we have a bunch of Kinsford up at the cabin and use it regularly, just be aware that:

"Today, KINGSFORD charcoal is manufactured from wood charcoal, anthracite coal, mineral charcoal, starch, sodium nitrate, limestone, sawdust, and borax. The wood and other high-carbon materials are heated in special ovens with little or no air. This process removes water, nitrogen and other elements, leaving almost pure carbon. "

Source:

http://old.cbbqa.org/wood/Kingsford.html

If none of that bothers you, have at it.

Did the guide to Grill snobbery come with the acorn or is inherited like the membership to the country club?

I'm halfway kidding but not really.

I thought I clearly stated that I actually use Kingsford, so no snobbery, just trying to be informative. grin

In all honesty, until I started studying up on the Kamado style grills a few months ago, I never knew there was so much to know about charcoal, and was always happy with any old charcoal except the nasty ol' Matchlight stuff.

That said, Mrs. Irish and I have always tried to cook our meals with the freshest, least processed, ingredients we can get without unreasonable trouble, so I figure, why shouldn't we cook with a charcoal that has the least amount of weird added stuff in it?

I specialize in pollution control systems for coal burning power plants, and coal has some pretty nasty stuff in it. However anthracite is probably the cleanest burning coal there is, and that's what's in Kingsford.

On the other hand I do love me a good coal fired pizza. Probably the best pizza there is.

Last edited by Irishguy; 07/01/16 08:05 AM.