Originally Posted By: AC870
A great American, my dad Don Campbell, turns 72 today.
His achievements:
- War hero (sniper in the Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam in 1965, Purple Heart & Bronze Star)
- Author, he wrote his war memoirs in a book called “The Missing Horsemen"
- Married to the same woman, Sandra Dispennett Campbell, 50 years come October
- Champion pee-wee football coach
- First fire chief and among the founders of Ga. Mtn. Volunteer Fire Dept.
- Deacon and Sunday school officer for many years at Mt. Carmel Baptist Church
- Retired lineman from Redstone Arsenal
- Entrepreneur, started his own heating & cooling business years ago
- Cancer survivor and overall armor-plated son-of-a-gun. He ate bacon and eggs the morning after they did throat surgery for his cancer at the base of the tongue.
- Most generous person I know. In his early years, he once gave the last $20 bill in his pocket to somebody that showed up at church with a hard-luck story. “I figured I could make more and he might not be able to,” he said when the story came out years later.
- Knowledgeable in all things construction. Can’t tell you how many times he’s bailed me out on home maintenance. He is the superintendent on my screened-in porch project now.
Happy birthday, Pops, and many more. I love you more than words can express. We eating Mater's pizza tonight!

(Also of note: Dad will be the keynote speaker at the Guntersville Courthouse's Memorial Day ceremony Monday at 11:00.)

thumbup

My Dad was in the Ia Drang Valley with your Dad.
Don't know if they knew each other but they were there at same time with The Cav.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

" Chuck Sykes is a dictator control freak like Vladimir Putin " WmHunter