Originally Posted By: ikillbux
Originally Posted By: SMB44

Originally Posted By: ikillbux
Originally Posted By: Ben2
I have no desire to hunt in February at all, it's time to fish

This!

Seriously though, we just had 3.5 months of hunting.... whew, I'm bored with it. I killed my bucks, and as always I didn't need the rut. In fact, I killed mine by the Friday after Thanksgiving. Don't understand this fascination with "the rut". I couldn't care less if I ever saw chasing or grunting. It makes me no less excited when I see a batchelor group feeding to me in October, than if I saw one of those bucks grunting and following a doe in February. Actually, it is WAAAAY more exciting to me when I see 7 racked bucks together on October 15th, at 3:00 in the afternoon, and they don't know I'm in the world! Then you get to run an arra through one of 'em!!!
If you need those 10 more days in February to feel excited about hunting (or to see a buck), maybe huntin' ain't yo thang.

I kid, I kid, I just know how it riles y'all up when I say that! grin (but those are my true feelings)

I'm not sure where you hunt but I'd bet it isn't public land. I would hunt till the end of February if it was legal. I may not be the best or smartest hunter, but I hunt hard and it's rare to see 3 shooter bucks during the day at any phase on public land.

Actually, it is public land. I almost exclusively hunt Pelham Range military installation. I even killed a decent 8pt on Choccolocco WMA this year.

Again, I ain't got no beef with the extended 10-days in February. I've just always held that opinion about "the rut". I know to each his own, just expressing that I couldn't give 3 craps if deer ever rutted at all.

That's great for you. But don't tell me I need a new hobby because I like to hunt in February. I could have killed my 3 bucks long ago, if that was the goal. But that isn't it. I try n shoot big deer. I did shoot a 2.5 6 that I thought was a 3.5 8 but I enjoyed the hunt. For me I like being in the woods and seeing deer almost as much as killing one.

Playin string music
Hoyt Vector 32
Get Serious Get Hoyt

Alto, la migra means Stop, immigration in Spanish slang. They'll scatter like skittles dropped on a concrete floor. -Furflyin