Wasn't able to hunt this afternoon so I got home from hunting camp about 3:30 p.m. Needed to put out a roll of hay for my cows so I went & got a roll and was on the tractor placing it when I saw this yote.

I looked down in my pasture to see one of my cows standing there with a newborn calf. Laying not 10 feet from the calf was a big ol' coyote.

I drove the tractor back to the barn and came inside the house to retrieve my Remington Sendero. I left the tractor running as a diversion to the yote and slipped down the pasture fence until I got to a pine tree that I could use for a rest.

When I looked into my scope for the yote I saw two more had joined the first one that was still lying down.

All three of them were no more that 10-15 feet from the newborn calf.

I lined up the cross-hairs on the one lying down and at 250 yards I let the ol' gal taste a .300 RUM 180 grain round. Took off over half her head and put a huge hole in her mid-section.

The other two were out of sight in the pines 30 yards away before I could bolt a second round.

I guess they were feasting on the after-birth from the calving that had just taken place. I am amazed at how many of these critters I often see around my cattle. I try to take out every one that I see but it seems like we have more of them than ever before.

This one was a big female.

I posted the PIC in FurFlyin's thread in the Serious forum so it could be added to the total. thumbup

Cuz-Pat

Patton's European Mounts
Professional Quality Skull & Antler Taxidermy
Since 1998