Originally Posted By: gobbler
Originally Posted By: WmHunter

Since you had mentioned genetics I thought that posting some general articles on genetics and variation would be helpful to readers in general. That's all.

Just ribbin you - no offense intended. My point was some of the discussion regarding "genetic" variation, antler type and character over an area of a couple miles which is impossible since it is smaller than an individual deers', or at least a "families", home range. That would be considered "individual" genetic variation.

I didn't take any offense bro, I think it is a GREAT discussion. And I think this thread brings up some very interesting subjects that are rarely discussed, and I don't even recall ever reading any studies or articles about this before.

I agree - a couple of miles won't be any antler trait variations, just individual variations as you indicate; my thoughts were just that over some distance, like maybe 5 miles, maybe some other greater distance, antler traits and characteristics become different.

My theory is that the overlapping and blending over distance becomes different and eventually with enough distance the various antler traits that exist within one area's deer herd is completely different from another. I do see differences when going from one end of the county to the other. And that to answer the original poster's question, therefore, IMO not every square inch of the Black Belt (or the State or country for that matter) is equal or identical in terms of antler traits and characteristics and potential.

I wish all the deer in my area had more 10 point traits and none of those dang 6 and 7 point traits (not to mention those darn SOOS).

I've noticed that Kentucky seems to have a lot of 10 point antler traits. It may be just appearances (not enough samples) but it seems from all the photos/ TV shows/hunting mags/ etc. that a large percentage of Ky bucks are 10 points even when young. They seem to have very good antler genetics there.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

" Chuck Sykes is a dictator control freak like Vladimir Putin " WmHunter