Originally Posted By: centralala
Question for Matt and Nighthunter. Nighthunter, you KNOW where I am going to go already!! IF at all possible (which its not) all fawns could be born the same day, I would assume more would survive predators. How old does a fawn need to be for its BEST chance of survival from predators?

And I really like the 3 buck limit. But hunter education is equally important.

I think it really is dependent on habitat but I've personally seen 2-3 fawns that I would estimate were 4-6 weeks old give a coyote the slip. This was in pretty good quality habitat though. I'd venture to say in wide open commercial timberland plantation that fawns don't stand a very good chance, their ability to hide is their best defense. If I had to step out on a limb and estimate I'd say they needed to be 2.5 months old where escape cover was limited.

Quote:

Matt and Nighthunter, do we have more deer now in Alabama than we did 10 years ago? 20 years ago? Anecdotally, I know how I would answer that, but what say ye biologists?

That question can't be answered with a clear-cut and paintbrush type response. It is different in various locales. Some areas have just as many deer as in the 80's-90's, some have more and some have less. These areas can change very, very quickly too. IMO (not speaking in WFF role), habitat changes, differences in management/hunting practices, human population dynamics, politics, and land ownership/leasing patterns/practices has really created a difficult situation to manage our deer herd in AL. To me it makes much more sense to try and manage on a more local level instead of 2 huge zones but that hasn't occurred so we have to work with what we have. That is why I recommend the DMP for the folks that it fits.

Last edited by NightHunter; 09/01/15 03:23 PM.