Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
1). Just my opinion, the 3 buck limit was a starting point. Is it somewhat arbitrary? Sure, but any number would be. The limit should be a moving target. If the herd is stable, the limit stays as it is. If the herd declines, the limit is lowered. Whenever you set a limit for the first time, it will be subjective. The key is to monitor the herd after the limit is set and then tweak it from there.

2). Why no doe limit? Are you familiar with the voluntary Game Check system? I think a lot of people assume that does are being harvested at a much higher rate than bucks but the data doesn't show that. Bucks are harvested at a 50% higher rate than does. Why set a limit for something that isn't being over harvested according to the data? If the does begin to be harvested at a higher rate, a limit may need to be set. I know a lot of folks will jump in here and say that you can't believe the data because not everyone voluntarily reports it. Statistically, the data can be significant. It's no different than an election poll. You get responses from a very small percentage of people and use that as a basis for determining how the whole population will vote. Game Check can give us a rough idea of the harvest just by looking at what a small percentage of hunters are reporting.

3). Why uniform limits across the whole state? My response is more based on personal preference than biology but I'm glad it's uniform. Having hunted various other states with much more complicated laws, I prefer simple. Some states have their open seasons and limits set by region and this gets confusing very quickly. This is one area where I think Alabama is doing it right. Our current regs are easy to interpret and are constant throughout the whole state. If I get invited to hunt another part of the state with friends, I don't have to worry about different rules or regs. It's simple and I prefer it that way. You have a point that there may be a better biological reason for managing it based on geography, but I dread the day we start making it more complicated than it has to be.

I think you are a little off on your Buck/Doe harvest numbers. According to the numbers that the state compiles from the hunter survey they mail out every year, does are killed at a slightly higher rate than bucks. I think the average over the last 10 years is something like 8-10 percent more does than bucks have been killed. You could look it up and get the actual numbers. I am pretty sure it is a statistically accurate survey.

If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough.