Left church and went to Cracker Barrel. I saw an elderly couple getting dropped off and then noticed the gentleman was wearing a veterans hat. After closer examination, I saw WWII and Korea. I held the doors open and told him Thanks for his service, as he slowly moved through with his cane. We talked inside for a minute and learned he also served in Vietnam and proudly served in the USMC for 26 years.
We sat across the aisle from the husband, wife and daughter. I tried unsuccessfully to get their servers attention to pay for his meal, but the daughter was out with the check before I could do this(I had never actually done this for anyone before).
The family leaves the table and stops by before leaving and we all again thanked him for his service.

We get ready to leave and we receive a Note, instead of our check. It listed their names and ages(94 for the Marine) and thanked me for my kindness and may God always bless us. I had tears as I read the note to my family.
I am not writing this as to brag or praise my actions, but rather to put some things in perspective. I was thankful to simply be able to open a door and give thanks to a soldier for allowing me to live in this wonderful country and they thought enough of this simple gesture to feed my family.

Thank you to all that serve or have served in the armed forces.