Originally Posted By: BhamFred
His turned hand hold is not comfortable for me. He achieves follow up accuracy not because of his stance but because he has a VERY stable shooting platform with little gun movement which is achievable with a more traditional vertical hold.

Defensive shooting is measured in feet and seconds. Under 20 feet and under four seconds.

Stress, and defensive shooting is the definition of stress, makes your fine muscles go to much, your eyesight tunnel visions. Training in defensive shooting makes use of major muscle groups and repetition in form. It must become second nature to get the gun OUT, safety off if it has one, pointed(not aimed) and shoot. Reloading must be second nature and done automatically. Clearing jams should be part of any semi auto training because your chance of a jam is higher under stress.

I don't like lazers for defensive shooting, just something else to distract you when under great stress, and are unnecessary at ten feet.

I like fixed night sights for a reference, and you MUST train with some sort of light. You don't want to shoot yer neighbor by mistake.

Good post.

The reason Curtis teaches that type of hold is that is takes advantage of natural bone alignment which gives the shooter much more stability. He displays this very easily with anyone who wishes to volunteer when he teaches his techniques. Yes as you stated it can be achieved with the tradtional hold, but you have to be taught that, it's not as natural as the way Curtis teaches. Without thinking point at something real quick, and then look at your hand position. Reach for something, or even sticking your hand out for a shake, you can see the hand is very rarely ever turned 90 degrees with the ground. He utilizes the natural hand position and a simple test of a pretty good bump of force on the end of the hand. When you compare the two different cants of the hand with the same test, you can feel the stability difference between the two bone alignments in the arm (especially in the elbow region). But I do understand where you are coming from, the traditional form has been taught for years, and it's what most shooters are familiar with.

Last edited by westflgator; 07/05/15 09:00 AM.